My kind of normal


I love living in Uganda. I love the simplicity of life in the village, the way people value relationships, the way I can sit at my friend's house (uninvited) for hours doing absolutely nothing. I love waking up to the sounds of various birds outside my window.  I love sound of rain on the metal roof. I love the worship music that plays in our kitchen every day. I love walking to church every Saturday evening for youth Biblestudy and choir prcatice. I love visiting the school throughout the week for the Bible memory program and to visit the teachers. I love that all the kids greet me with big smiles when I walk by. I love being "auntie" to all the little babies. I love that I am part of the big family surrounding my house. I love the bright colors that surround me as I walk down the street. I love the joy of those who have less than me and their excitement when I show them something new. 

This simple life is my kind of normal. 

Weekly Saturday market. You can find anything from clothes to fish to dishes to medicine. 


Clay water pots. These pots act like a fridge and keep the water clean and cold. 

Emolokny - cow hoof. 

Shoes made from recycled tires (left). 



Sweet smiles, precious hearts. 


Little Giftie

Frida



My little man loves playing outside! 

Playing soccer 

Frying casava chips. Add a sprinkle of salt - these are my favorite snack!


Breakfast - tea and g-nuts.

We love watermelon!

Ugandan food is so delicious! 

Make-shift wheel barrow.

Two little boys - one with a basin on his head - take the cows home.

Soroti Town - Main street

I just love this picture! It captures life in Uganda so well! The dirty umbrella shading the chapati stands, the brightly colored building, the trash on the side of the road, the motorcylces, the mix of religions as seen by two Muslim men amidst the others. 

Outing to the trade show with friends

Shopping with friends! The rock behind us marks the town of Soroti.


Girls begin carrying things on their heads as soon as they can walk.

Fetching water

A homemade, clay stove with chimneys to blow the smoke directly outside. Not many homes have a stove, but I think more families should invest in one. They have so many benefits! 

Toy car made from old boxes, shoes, jericans, tires, and wheels. 

Local bike 

Most common means of public transportation - boda boda.

Welcome to our trading center!



Selling fresh fish. Usually this is brought from the lake in the afternoon and sold in the evening. 

"Omena" (aka Million Fish)

Goat's meat anyone?

A local shop. 


Two new friends - Scovia, a midwife, and Evelyn, a nurse. They are in their early twenties and carry out most of the responsibilities at the local clinic in our village. They are so friendly and always have a smile! Pray for wisdom as I build a friendship, share the gospel with them, and (hopefully) put them through Life International's Journey of a Life Giver training. 

Litte kids playing at the borehole while their mama washes their clothes. 

My friend Martha found a hedgehog during her garden work one morning. She kept it at home so we could come see it. 




Comments

  1. Oh, so many, many memories! Thanks for sharing, Grace!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a special place! More so with your family there to model God's love

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your photos and the spiritual truths you share! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment