goodbyes. . .

This past month has been a bit crazy. My family has done lots of traveling and saying good byes. Our month started by saying good bye to another missionary family as they returned to the States for an extended period of time. (I say "extended period of time" because you never know what God has planned for you). This was a hard good bye, especially for Emalai and Makai. Since this family left, our family is the only missionary family with children. Even though we live in a village surrounded by big families, no one understands us in the unique way that other missionaries do. This leaves my family, especially us kids, feeling left behind and alone when other missionary families leave. Missionaries families have come and gone many times throughout my life, but you never get used to the feeling of being left. Good byes never get easier. And life is never quite the same afterwards.  




Seems like you are constantly on the move as a missionary kid. Which is true some of the time. Traveling to different parts of the world and experiencing new cultures is an amazing aspect of growing up overseas. I love traveling! This past month we spent twelve days in England. We visited our friends for the first part of our trip. We attended Freedom in Christ's international conference during the second half of our trip. It was a wonderful time of worship, hearing and seeing what God is doing around the world, prayer, and connecting in person with old and new friends. 







After the conference, there were more goodbyes. Not only did we have to say goodbye to new friends, we also had to say goodbye to each other as I returned to Michigan alone. My poor family has had to say goodbye way too many times this month. Goodbyes are so so hard. And they are even harder when it is a family member. I guess when you live everyday together, you create a special connection that hurts when it is stretched. Nothing, NOTHING can prepare you for saying good bye to your family and flying in separate directions, opposite sides of the ocean, and seven time zones apart. 

Tear stained faces. . .

Exciting things have happened since I arrived in Michigan! I was able to walk in graduation as an honorary student. I never expected to be able to walk in a graduation since I was home schooled most of my life. I have spent a lot of time with friends and cousins! When we lived here for two and a half years, you get really close to special people. It's been so good to reconnect with close friends and family. It's a strange feeling though, when you are doing everything solo. I always feel like I should be going home to my family, playing with Makai and Emalai, helping my mom, talking to my dad, being teased by Luka, playing games with Lydia (and loosing). . . 





Comments

  1. Praying that your time here in Michigan is enjoyable even though you are missing your family. Maybe God is preparing you for college life. God bless you this summer, dear Grace.
    Prayers and love,
    Miss Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, these goodbyes are hard. I'm proud of you for processing through this and honestly verbalizing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grace, very well written. The emotions and tears so a part of missionary life. We will keep praying for peace for you and the family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Grace - I love getting to know you through your blog and I am excited for your arrival at Dordt! I'm praying for you as you travel through all of these transitions.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment