The Miracle of Life

"Put your head down; lay flat!"

"Keeping pushing; don't stop! You want your baby to remain there?" 

"I have other things to do. You want me to send you away? I will call you back in my own time!" 

"Push harder! I will slap you!" I was stunned by these harsh statements the nurse said to Katie as she struggled to delivery her first baby. 

I arrived at the local clinic at 7:45 one cloudy morning. Katie was waiting outside the delivery room, kneeling next to a bench. Her contractions, which were short but intense, were about 2 or 3 minutes apart. Katie's husband did not have any interest in being in the delivery room, but remained outside the clinic. The lady who had come with Katie did not offer any support - in fact, I did not even realize she was there with Katie until she followed us into the delivery room! The nurse took her precious time sweeping the delivery room, not seeming to have a care in the world about Katie's contractions. At around 8 the nurse called her in to check her. The nurse placed a black plastic sheet over an old medical bed and Katie climbed up. She told Katie, who was completely naked except for a cloth laid across her chest for the baby to be placed on, to try pushing. The nurse looked at me and told me to step aside, then she broke Katie's water because she wasn't making any progress. Katie tried pushing for a few more minutes, still making little progress. Personally, now I'm no expert, but I don't think she was quite ready to push. The baby had not yet crowned when the nurse told her to push. Katie was tired at this point and we could just barely see the baby's head. 

This is when things got intense. Katie was given an IV to keep her hidrated. The nurse was very strict and wanted Katie to push and deliver a certain way; and she was not about to let anyone suggest otherwise. She was adamant that Katie had to lay flat on her back while she was pushing. Again, I'm no expert, but Katie was making more progress kneeling next to the bench than she was laying down. The nurse made Katie's mom, who arrived half way through Katie's pushing, hold her head down so she could not lift it. Whenever Katie stopped pushing to take a breath, the nurse scolder her for stopping. The nurse wouldn't let Katie cry or make any kind of noise. Katie looked at me with panic in her eyes. I had never felt so helpless. Finally, I stepped up and took over the job of coaching and encouraging Katie because the nurse was not helping in that area at all. I told her to push, I assured her she was doing a good job, that she was strong and that she was almost there. I told her I could see the baby. I also told Katie to keep breathing and to relax between contractions which were now every 30 seconds or so. 

Finally after almost an hour of pushing, I encouraged Katie to give it one big push with whatever strength she had left. That was all it took for her little baby to come out. The nurse caught the baby and placed it on the cloth on Katie's chest. I looked at Katie, who was too tired to care at that moment, and told her she had a son! The nurse carried the baby over to the scale and worked on him for a minute. The little guy never cried in the delivery room! Neither the nurse nor my mom, who arrived shortly after he was born, seemed concerned. The nurse then returned to Katie needed lots of stitched! I walked out of the delivery room for a brief moment to tell Anthony - Katie's husband - that he had a son and to bring my mom in to see Katie. About an hour after the baby was born, Katie slowly stood up and walked out of the delivery room to an open room with several beds where she would rest for the day. All the ladies waiting for check ups murmured their amazement that the mzungus (white people) had come to help an Iteso (some from the Teso tribe) give birth.

                                        

Okello Joshua was born Jan. 5 at 8:55 a.m. He was almost exactly 3 kg. 




Katie's mom arrived after Katie had started pushing. From the time she arrived until the baby was born, she did not stop praying for strength for Katie and protection for the baby.  

There is nothing like holding a new life in your arms. Welcome to the world little man! You are a miracle! 


Katie's husband's first time meeting his son. He had a big smile on his face. 

The clinic from the outside

Entering the clinic. Straight leads to the patients room and to the right leads to the delivery room.

Poor Lydia fainted in front of all these pregnant ladies (she does not do well in clinics here). They were very concerned about her. Once I knew she was ok, I burst out laughing. My mom shouted for the nurse when Lydia started falling. I ran over to help. Once Lydia started talking again, the nurse popped her head out the door and ask me if everything was ok. I responded "You delayed, we don't need you anymore. I have it under control."

The door in the left of the picture above leads to the delivery room. 

The clinics here are very basic. There is little to no privacy at the hospitals here. This particular clinic was very open. All the doors were open, any one could walk in a see the patients on their beds, anyone could walk in to the delivery room if they desired, and sheet was hung from the window in the delivery room. There was old bed frames and wheelchairs in a pile between the waiting room and patients room. Posters decorated the walls. The bathrooms were outside. You had to cook your own food in the open kitchen outside. And chickens ran throughout the waiting room and patients room. Everything you need for your stay at the clinic must come with you from home - sheets, blankets, basin, soap, food, dishes, etc. In village clinics, there may only be a nurse on duty, not even a doctor! We like bringing nurses who come to visit to the clinics in the area so they can observe the many differences! 

                                               
    Lydia and I went to visit Katie and Joshua yesterday. His skin has gotten darker (which usually happens) but he is still as cute as he was when he was a newborn! Joshua loves to suck his thumb and cries when he accidently pulls it out. 


Katie loves being a mom! She smiles and makes funny faces at her baby boy! 

Comments

  1. Wow! What an amazing experience you got to have. Bless you for being there for your friend and thank God for a healthy baby! THanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should become a Dr. or a nurse, Grace! You've got what it takes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful and hard experience! Thank you for sharing 💜💜💜

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment